Today on Real Estate Mortgage Shoppe you will be hearing some tips and stories about how to enjoy being comfortably cool when all around you seems to be on fire. I will be sharing some stories from some of my clever clients used some cool moves in a hot market to claim the house they truly wanted. Mark McLaurine, heating and air conditioning strategist and repair expert will be giving you some great tips on how to keep your AC cooling your home.
What do YOU want to accomplish from YOUR mortgage? Call me and let’s explore your options (901) 482-0354 Jo@jogarner.com Subscribe to get Real Estate Mortgage Shoppe podcasts with show notes at www.JoGarner.com
To Your Success,
FIRING UP THE SHOW …..
Good morning, Memphis! Welcome to our internet listeners and podcast listeners across the 50 states! You’re on Real Estate Mortgage Shoppe. I’m your host, Jo Garner, Mortgage Loan Officer. You can connect with me at www.JoGarner.com. Our general topic is COOL MOVES TO MAKE IN A RED-HOT REAL ESTATE MARKET.. Subscribe to get our weekly blogposts with podcasts at www.JoGarner.com. Call us while we are live at (901) 535-9732 Today is August 15, 2020.
(Jo) Back in the Real Estate Mortgage Shoppe studio is Mark McLaurine, Heating and Airconditioning Strategist and repair expert. Mark time after time I have heard people give testimonies to how you have used your repair skills and other resources to fix problems that the average repairman may not see. So many times you have saved that customer from having to buy an expensive part or saved them from having to buy an entirely new heating and airconditioning system. Take a moment and tell our listeners a little about yourself and what you do for your heating and air conditioning clients. (Mark has about 1 minute or so to talk about himself and what he does for his clients,,,)
(Jo) Yesterday I was listening to a real estate podcast from the National Association of Realtors and speaker was talking about Memphis, TN being one of the hottest real estate markets because we have a good quality of life here and buying a home is VERY AFFORDABLE. A few weeks ago I was watching a national news program and our fair city Memphis, TN was the hit parade on that show too—for the same reason. A great place to rent or buy a home—buy much more affordable to BUY a home. As the news anchor was signing off, she yelled over to her camera guys, “ I want to live in Memphis!”
“Yes, ma’am, me too,” I thought. It is a hot market and, if you want to live here and live well and comfortably, you need to be prepared, be prompt and be patient with the right professionals on your team.
We have a unique market that some of us have never seen before in our lifetimes. A Tremendous Trifecta – High Demand for Homes, High Values on Homes and the lowest interest rates ever. The shortage of homes on the market and the high demand from buyers to buy a home is being fueled by the low mortgage rates. That is great for home sellers, but homebuyers making an offer on a house are competing with other people making offers on the same house.
YORK AND YVONNE YAGER’S STORY
York and Yvonne Yager (not their real names) had been renting. They told me when I was getting their mortgage preapproved the price range they wanted to buy and what they wanted for a maximum house payment and down payment. But just from the way they talked in the beginning, I knew they were going to get a shock when they stepped out into this lightening fast real estate market.
The Yagers wanted to take a couple of days to decide on houses that they liked before making an offer only to find time and time again that someone else’s offer had been accepted and the house they liked was sold before they could make their move. “Every time we find a house we like, someone else buys it before we can make an offer,” they complained.
After traipsing through so many different houses for several weeks, the Yagers didn’t want to settle for anything less than what they truly wanted. Right before the Yagers were about to throw in the towel on their house hunting, they walked into the house they knew was THE ONE for them. Knowing competition would be stiff, they made their highest offer right then and there—and after a few hours of anticipation, their offer was accepted. In all caps their text to me read “WE GOT OUR HOUSE!!!!!”
Later in the show we are going to get into some very specific cool moves you can make when you want your offer for a home to win like the Yager’s did. Right now, let’s pivot over to the Mark McLaurine with Refrigeration Unlimited and talk about how to STAY cool in our houses this summer. (Mark McLaurine has about 2-3 minutes to start launching into his topics to be continued after the 9:15 break)
You’re on Real Estate Mortgage Shoppe. I’m your host, Jo Garner, Mortgage Loan Officer. What do YOU want to accomplish with your mortgage? Make your plan. Let’s work your plan if the deal works for you today, let’s do it today. When we come back we will be getting more great tips on some cool moves we can make to keep our airconditioning cooling our homes. Ed Hill of Master Roofing will be sharing a good tip with us when we come back.
TALK SHOPPE BUSINESS TIP FOR REAL ESTATE PROS
2nd segment after 9:15 advertising break – (producer to start the song “Taking Care of Business” by Bachman Turner Overdrive –but bring the volume down before the lyrics start) It’s time to talk shop with Talk Shoppe’s Business Tip For Real Estate Professionals. Talk Shoppe is a marketing company offering free education and networking to anyone interested in real estate or in business. Talk Shoppe is made possible by the financial support of its sponsors and advertisers. For more about Talk Shoppe, go to www.TalkShoppe.com (shoppe) For our Talk Shoppe Business Tip today we have Talk Shoppe sponsor Ed Hill of Masters Roofing. I heard one of your customers tell me your customer service set the bar really high when compared to a lot of other roofers. You are focused on giving your roofing customers what they want with high quality workmanship. Ed Hill of Masters Roofing, what is our Talk Shoppe Business Tip for Real Estate Professionals today? (Ed Hill has about 1.5 minutes to share some budgeting tips )
Ed Hill, how do we contact you? 901 871-7663
Ed Hill’s tip #1 Talk Shoppe Tip For Real Estate Pros #1
When deciding between shingle grades consider that for only a little more money on the front end to install a higher wind-rated shingle on your new roof that you will save several times more during the life of the roof when you are not having to repair wind damaged shingles after storms! Choose a 110 mph or 130 mph wind-rated architectural shingle rather than a 65 mph wind-rated 3 tab flat shingle. The difference in cost will only be about $20 per square! Get six pricing options by calling me 901-273-6594.
TOPICS COVERED MARK MCLAURINE OF REFRIGERATION UNLIMITED
TOPICS COVERED BY MARK MCLAURINE:
- What are some tips you can give homeowners to help keep their air conditioners working throughout the summer?
Change filters in your HVAC system every 6 months
What are some tips you can give homeowners on what to do when the air conditioner stops working? When you turn on your airconditioning and it is not cooling—Turn on the fan-Turn off the system. Call Mark. With the system off and the fan turned on, this will unfreeze your pipes while Mark is enroute to fix your
- Talk about the air purifying bulb you can install in the hvac system to help purify the air in the home.
Ultra violet tube and also the top of the line I Wave that can be installed into your HVAC system and will purify the air inside your home
- Talk about the latest government rules that affect what type air conditioner you will need to purchase when its time to buy a new one? What are the costs for these units?
- What sets you and your company apart from other heating and air companies?
- Topics include discussing Getting the air conditioning ready for a hot mid south summer. We address the 5 things that can take an ac system down also changes in the furnace world that will require individuals and business to install more “economy minded” fan drive furnace systems and finally explaining our “three prong approach” to service which addresses proper ain a timely fashion, repairs vs replacement on aged systems and replacements with fine carrier products with accessories such as air purification systems that neutralize and aid removal of bacteria, mold and mildew that grow on surfaces and that are detected airborne. Hope this is what you were asking for.
TOPICS COVERED BY JO GARNER, MORTGAGE LOAN OFFICER:
- What are the top cool moves to make when preparing to buyin a red-hot real estate market?
- Set Your Personal Boundaries
-Determine before you ever even look at a home to buy, what is the maximum house payment amount you can comfortably pay.
– Determine before you ever even look at a home to buy, what is the maximum down payment and move-in cost you can comfortably pay.
You may need to get creative like one of my clients Ricky Rodriguez (not his real name)
Meet Ricky. Ricky is barely out of his twenties and wants a shop next to his house so he could work on cars and fix stuff. He also wants to be in a particular upscale neighborhood. His dream house was like having champagne taste on a beer budget. Ricky engages his imagination and some ingenuity.
He found a house in a neighborhood that was going steadily up in value, even though it wasn’t the upscale area he initially wanted. The property had a garage. This house would not break the bank for Ricky. Ricky took action with a smart offer and beat out any competition to buy his house. Over time he transformed the garage into an awesome shop by installing a work bench and later some racks for his tools. The house was going up in value too. Ricky would one day be able to launch from this home up to the more upscale neighborhood he originally wanted.
- Setting Your Priorities For What You Want and What You Really Need For Your Home
- Make a list in the order of priority of what you cannot live without in your home and what would be nice but not necessary. For instance if climbing stairs is painful for you, then a two story home is NOT an option. Don’t even look at them.
- If you would like to have a double oven in the kitchen and a swimming pool outside but can wait a year or two to acquire them, then that is a bargaining chip you can trade for something else. Give your priority list to your realtor to help with knowing how to negotiate.
- What are the top cool moves to make to be prompt when buying in a red-hot real estate market?
- Get a strong preapproval letter from a reputable lender. Be prompt in getting your income and asset documents to your lender and other credit documents. If the lender sends you a letter letting you know they have reviewed your credit and income and asset supporting documents and you are still looking good as a borrower, now you can make an offer that is more FIRM than you competition.
- Remove as many contingencies to buying the home as possible. For instance, you may be planning to sell your current home after you buy the new home, but go ahead and ask the lender if they can get your loan prequalified WITHOUT having to sell your current home first. Another cool move in a hot market to make your offer FIRM and more sure in the eyes of the seller
- Can you waive the home inspection contingency or agree to pay any repairs as a result of the home inspection? Risk Alert here. But it is a common bargaining chip that could make your offer for firm and sure than the offer from the other would-be buyers.
- Can you make your offer to buy the home NOT contingent on the appraisal value? RISK ALERT again, because that means if the appraisal comes in at a lower value than the sales price, you are agreeing to pay the extra money required to still pay the higher price you offered
- What are the top cool moves to make to be patient when buying in a red-hot real estate market?
- Make your offer flexible in favor of the seller. This requires some patience. The seller may want to continue living in the home for a couple of weeks once you buy their house to give themselves time to pack and move or wait on a newly built home to be finished.
- Be flexible with terms and willing to give up some of your bargaining chips on the lowest end of your priority list.
- Be patient. Sometimes you have to add persistence to the virtue of patience. Like in York and Yvonne Yager’s story, you may have to look at several houses and make several offers before the seller accepts your bid for the house. Stay within your financial boundaries and make sure you get a house that has the already the things you need that are on the top of your priority list
- Cool moves to make in a red-hot real estate market is to have an experienced team working with you.
- Lender (I’d like to sign up as your lender for life.
- Closing Attorney or Title Officer
- Home Inspector
- Insurance Agent
REAL ESTATE TIP OF THE WEEK (Ed Hill offers 1 to 1.5 minutes to share a real estate related money-saving or time-saving tip related to roofing ):
Talk Shoppe Tip For Real Estate Pros #2
Did you know that some home insurance policies offer a new roof discount? Consult your agent about discounts you may get after installing a new roof, then call me at 901-273-6594 for six pricing options and let’s get you a new roof and a new roof discount! If you need an agent who can help you with that…I know a gal… Call me 901-273-6594!
Talk Shoppe offers free networking & education to anyone interested
in real estate or in business. Go to www.TalkShoppe.com and click on Upcoming Events Tab for virtual meeting location website
address. Talk Shoppe meets every Wednesday 9A-10A CT This Wednesday August 19th Brad Hyde, Business
Development Specialist with Delta Specialty Hospital “Dealing with the
Disagreeables In Life and Relationships”
We want to say thank you to Genell Holloway of www.healthbenefitsplus.org Health Benefit Coverage you can count on. (Putting the Plus sign in YOUR bottom line) Genell Holloway financially supports the free education and networking for our local community at Talk Shoppe. Connect with Genell Holloway at www.healthbenefitsplus.com to talk with her about your health benefits
Thank you to Brett Carter of ServiceMaster by Cornerstone When you experience Fire, Water Damage, Mold or Bio Hazard in your home, don’t go it alone, call ServiceMaster by Cornerstone. They have a great reputation for treating their customers right. (901) 624-9200
4. Subscribe at www.JoGarner.com and you can get our weekly blog posts with podcasts conveniently in your inbox.
5. Real Estate Mortgage Shoppe reminds you to MAKE YOUR PLAN. LET’S WORK YOUR PLAN. IF THE DEAL WORKS FOR YOU TODAY, DO IT TODAY.
SPECIAL NOTE: REAL ESTATE MORTGAGE SHOPPE RECOMMENDS THAT YOU CONSULT WITH A FINANCIAL, LEGAL OR OTHER CERTIFIED, LICENSED PROFESSIONAL BEFORE ACTING OR INVESTING ON ANYTHING YOU HEAR OR SEE FROM THE CONTENT ON THIS SHOW OR BLOG POSTS. THE INFORMATION WE SHARE ON REAL ESTATE MORTGAGE SHOPPE IS GENERAL IN NATURE MEANT FOR GENERAL EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. ALL EXAMPLES GIVEN FOR ILLUSTRATION PURPOSES ON REAL ESTATE MORTGAGE SHOPPE AND ARE BASED ON TRUE STORIES BUT WE USE FICTIONAL CHARACTERS AND DO NOT DIRECTLY REFLECT REAL PEOPLE OR EXACT DETAILS IN ANY OF THE SITUATIONS.
Colin Powell, “There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work and learning from failure.”
Anthony Robbins “Whatever you hold in your mind on a consistent basis, is exactly what you will experience in life.”
- Don Hutson, national speaker and author of The One Minute Negotiator. www.donhutson.com
- Taylor Morse of Cartridge World of Collierville, saving you 30% or more on your printing costs. Contact Taylor Morse at 901 853 3230
- Bill Emmerling of www.VistaPoints.org (888) 422-4076
Transitional Music: “The Heat Is On” Glenn Frey; “Some Like It Hot” Power Station; “Hot Stuff” by Donna Summer; “Taking Care of Business” by BTO for the Talk Shoppe Business Tip for Real Estate Pros
CALLERS: LYNN MCDONALD, ERIN MCDONALD INSURANCE AGENCY (901) 849-7171
LLOYD CALDEMEYER, US HEALTH ADVISORS (901 ) 338-2501
ABOUT MARK MCLAURINE, REFRIGERATION UNLIMITED
www.myhvacman.com (901) 216-7782
Do you need help with your heating, cooling or refrigeration problems?
McLaurine is a certified, licensed and insured universally approved
technician in Memphis who can quickly diagnose and repair appliances in a
cost-effective manner. We also offer other services that are often related such
• Plumbing issues and repairs
• Electrical circuitry and repairs
• Ventilation issues and repairs
• Indoor air quality services and related products
• Sewer and drain services
• Mechanical and gas piping services
• Filter contracts
• Appliance repair and installations
repair is too small!
Prompt and friendly service in a timely manner is the key to our success. Our reputation depends on you as our valued customer. We have also found by giving customers options, (repairs vs. replacements) it benefits all involved. We possess a good inventory of refurbished air conditioning and heating equipment for sale as well as installations in the greater Memphis area.
two signature programs are as follows:
• Cash trade-in for working, non-obsolete equipment
• Referral Rewards Points for satisfied customers that recommend us to others or allow themselves as a reference on a related service at our website.
At Refrigeration Unlimited, we believe we are taking service and the satisfaction desired to a whole new level. Call us for any appliance repair.
ABOUT ED HILL OF MASTERS ROOFING
Ed Hill has been in the residential roofing industry since 2008 and has been Senior Consultant with Masters Roofing Memphis TN since 2010. He has personally assisted about 800 homeowners with roof replacement and many others with roof and exterior repairs. He is an active member of the Greater Memphis Business Network International chapter and is the official Masters Roofing consultant to TPC Southwind. He holds three earned degrees including a doctorate but tries not to let those get in his way of serving his customers! For free roof advice, free inspections, and free estimates and bids for roof replacement or roof repair call Ed Hill at 901-273-6594. Learn more at #EdHillMastersRoofing and at MemphisHomeMaintenanceShow.Podbean.Com
Ed Hill, Senior Consultant
2845 Stage Center Cove
Bartlett TN 38134
TN State Licensed Contractor #00067521/ Reciprocal Licenses MS & AR
BBB A+ Accredited Member Business
Platinum Preferred Contractor Owens Corning / GAF Master Elite Installer
Guild Quality Member / Angie’s List
You Tube Channel: Ed Hill Masters Roofing
ABOUT JO GARNER-MORTGAGE LOAN OFFICER:
WHAT DO YOU WANT TO ACCOMPLISH WITH YOUR MORTGAGE?
“Whatever YOUR personal priorities are, my job is to help you get the mortgage terms that will give you bragging rights when you talk about it and help you score on hitting your goals .”
As a mortgage loan officer, my job is to help you get to the benefits you want from your financing terms. What is most important to you? I can help you find the financing terms that will help you get to what you want. What is your comfort level on a house payment? How much are you comfortable paying down,? What type of financing do you need to get the house you want to buy or refinance?
Different clients have different priorities in life—some are buying their first home with very little down payment funds. Some are recovering from medical challenges, divorces or preparing to send children to college and some are embarking on a long term goal of buying properties to build rental income.”
Jo Garner is a mortgage officer with extensive knowledge in tailoring mortgages to her customers who are refinancing or purchasing homes all over the country. She offers conventional, FHA, VA or other loan programs for refinancing and purchases.
Jo can help you look at rent vs buy, when it makes sense to refinance, how to get the best deal on your home purchase financing.
Jo Garner has been in the real estate/financing business for over 25 years. She got her start in Portland, Maine where she first began her real estate career. She received her real estate education from the University of Southern Maine and was personally mentored in San Diego, California by Robert G. Allen, author of Nothing Down, Creating Wealth and The Challenge.
On moving back to West Tennessee in 1987, she went into business buying and selling discounted owner-financed notes secured on real estate. In 1990 Jo went to work for a residential mortgage company and has been a mortgage loan officer for over 25 years. Her goal is to offer excellent, affordable service to her customers, tailoring the loan programs to the specific needs of her clients.
In addition to her work in the mortgage field, Jo Garner is the primary sponsor and founder of Talk Shoppe in Memphis. www.TalkShoppe.com Jo Garner also host the radio show Real Estate Mortgage Shoppe airing on News Radio AM 600 WREC and iHeart Radio with podcasts and show notes published on www.JoGarner.com