New Smart Strategies For Buyers and Sellers For Home Sales and Financing
Good morning, Memphis! Welcome to our internet listeners and podcast listeners across the 50 states! You’re on Real Estate Mortgage Shoppe. I’m your host, Jo Garner, Mortgage Loan Officer. You can connect with me at www.JoGarner.com. Our general topic is New Smart Strategies For Buyers and Sellers For Home Sales and Financing. Subscribe to get Real Estate Mortgage Shoppe podcasts with show notes at www.JoGarner.com Call us while we’re live today March 21,2020 at (901) 535-9732.
In Real Estate Mortgage Shoppe we will be sharing some smart strategies that for home buyers and sellers who are ready to make a move quicker. Silvana Piadade will be introducing EXP Realty’s new EXPRESS OFFER program, connecting cash buyers with sellers. I will be talking to home buyers and those of you looking to refinance on some smart strategies to edge you into a better position.
We have back in the studio Silvana Piadade of EXP Realty. Silvana, you are bilingual, serving your English and Spanish speaking clients. You have earned many awards and certifications, including Certified Distressed Property Expert for short sale or clients dealing with probate properties. You also are certified on EXP Realty’s new EXPRESS OFFERS program bring cash buyers to home sellers. Take a moment and tell our listening audience a little bit about yourself and how you serve your clients. (Silvana has about 1 minute or so to introduce herself and share some of the services she offers her clients)
(Jo) Today is March 21, 2020 and those of us in the Mid-South and around the world are fighting an all-out war against a dangerous pathogen. This enemy we fight is so small we can’t even see it with our eyes and yet, this battle has forced us all to leap out of our normal routines. New rules have pushed us into a new world, requiring new strategies to earn a living and care for our loved ones.
It reminds me of something former Memphis Tiger Coach Mike Norvell said in an interview. “Prepare and put yourself in the best position. Control what you can control.” You need new strategies to win in the new normal.
Mortgage rates were at about a 50-year low two weeks ago. Why did the mortgage rates climb so fast this week? Answer: There was a run on mortgage money very much like there was a run on hand sanitizer and toilet paper in the grocery stores. What happens when the supply dries up while demand heats up? Close your eyes and remember what your high school economics teacher told you. Low supply + High Demand =Higher Price.
What strategies work in this changing environment? This week the Federal Reserve saddled up their calvary and galloped in buying billions of dollars in mortgage-backed securities to make more money available for lending. By supplying more money for mortgages, we hope to see rates ease back down a bit from where they climbed. Experts have varying forecasts though.
How do we prepare and put ourselves in the best position?
#1 Know the maximum house payment that you can comfortably pay. Know the maximum cost at closing you can comfortably pay. Now we can start looking for financing programs that will work within your comfort levels.
Later in this show I want to share with you the four most common goals homebuyers and my refinance customers want to accomplish with their mortgage. Stay tuned.
We have been looking at the mortgage playing field. Silvana Piadade, you are a very experienced realtor with EXP Realty here in the Memphis area. How would you describe the real estate market today? What advice would you give to a seller to get the highest profit selling their home? (Silvana launches into part of her topics by describing the inventory situation and more about the current real estate market…. )
Advice Silvana gives to sellers for getting the highest price selling their home.
- Declutter your home
- Deep clean
- Staging your home can help also
Advice Silvana gives to buyers-
- Get very strong preapproval letter
- Go ahead and ask the lender to review your income and asset documentation and your credit.
- Be ready.
(Jo) You’re on Real Estate Mortgage Shoppe. I’m our host, Jo Garner, Mortgage Loan Officer NMLS#757308 What do YOU want to accomplish with YOUR mortgage? MAKE YOUR PLAN. LET’S WORK YOUR PLAN. IF THE DEAL WORKS FOR YOU TODAY, LET’S DO IT TODAY. Connect with me at www.JoGarner.com. Email me at Jo@JoGarner.com or just call me at (901) 482-0354. When we come back, Silvana Piadade, realtor with EXP Realty will be introducing a new EXP Realty product to connect cash buyers with home sellers. See you back in just a moment.
THE LOOK BACK MEMPHIS TRIVIA CONTEST
after 9:15 break: Our Look Back Memphis Trivia Contest is brought to you by notable Memphis historian, Jimmy Ogle. Twelve of his Memphis History lectures
entitled Making Memphis – Storytelling by Jimmy Ogle may be viewed by
Googling “JIMMY OGLE PINK PALACE”. View
at JimmyOgle.com. . The Look Back Memphis Trivia Contest is sponsored by John and Jennifer Lawhon of
Lawhon Landscape (901) 754-7474 the Lawhon’s can help you plan your landscaping
if you have a BIG, BIG project or a smaller project or you can do the big project
in phases . The Lawhons are giving away a $25 gift card to the first person
with the correct trivia answer. If you
know the answer to our trivia question, call us at 901 535 WREC 901 535-9732. Garner # 174 * 03/21/20
TRIVIA ANSWER: Martyrs Park
representing (Constance, Ruth, Frances and Thecla – Yellow Fever Martyrs)
Question: There is a park on the Memphis bluffs memorializing our achievements. What is the name of this park?
Hint: The park represents
heroes who came to Memphis in 1878 to treat victims of Yellow Fever.
Hint: The largest loss of life for one event in American history occurred here in 1878.
Hint: “What the Civil War could not do to Memphis, the Mosquito did”.
Answer: (Nuns) Constance,
Ruth, Frances and Thecla – Yellow Fever Martyrs. Beginning in the 1850s,
the Memphis area periodically suffered seasons of an unknown disease,
culminating in 1873, 1877 and then in 1878 with the largest disaster ever in
American history (Yellow Fever) – larger than the loss of life in the San
Francisco earthquake, Johnstown flood and Chicago fire combined!
Memphis had 40,000 citizens to begin the Summer, 1878 – 25,000 deserted the city in fear. Of the 15,000 left behind – 5,000 died. Thousands of doctors and nurses poured into Memphis to treat the suffering, with the Howards Association being the most notable. The four nuns all died within one month of each other in September-October, 1878.
The City of Memphis lost three-fourths of its population in one month through desertion and disease, and thrown in bankruptcy from 1879 to 1893. Memphis was not even known as the City of Memphis, but rather a “taxing district in West Tennessee, run by the Tennessee state legislature in Nashville”. All we did was pick up the dead, deliver food and camp on the bluff – Memphis was quarantined! Memphis had lost its charter, formed a Board of Health, and developed a sanitary sewer system that became a model for other American cities. And, then in 1887, discovered its first Artesian well and an unlimited source of clean drinking water. From Civil War hospitals, to tragedies like the Sultana sinking and Yellow Fever, the outstanding Memphis Medical Community was born and continues to be a worldwide leader in research, health and cures.
Bonus: Jimmy Ogle will be giving four distinct tours of Elmwood Cemetery on Saturday, April 25. To register, call 901-774-3212 or go to elmwoodcemetery.org.
Jimmy Ogle has retired from walking tours in Memphis. Twelve of his Memphis History lectures from
the Pink Palace entitled Making Memphis – Storytelling by Jimmy Ogle,
and now more than ten hours Downtown Walking Tours may all be viewed for
FREE on the internet at . . .
You Tube Jimmy Ogle. View JimmyOgle.com for more info!
TOPICS COVERED BY SILVANA PIADADE, EXP REALTY
- EXP Realty’s EXPRESS OFFER is a UNIQUE, agent owned, global, cloud based real estate company. The company offers EXP agents the opportunity to purchase stock with every transaction to become an actual shareholder. In addition the company also awards stock based on performance. We are represented in all 50 states, United Kingdom, Novia Scocia, Canada and Australia with a total count of over 20,000 agents/shareholders.
What this means to the consumer: We can offer the seller choices that no one has been able to offer before…
At EXP Realty we have an exciting program called EXPRESS OFFERS and I have the ability to expose a property to a marketplace of cash buyers.
Discover the modern way to sell your home by going directly to cash buyers! Express Offers is an instant offer platform that connects “the homeowner” with cash buyers who are looking for properties in your local market. This allows you to sell your home quickly, skipping the hassle of listing, showings, and the uncertainty of a traditional home sale.
- Sell your home quickly
- Get a competitive cash offer
- Skip the hassle of listing, staging and showings
- No bank approval needed
- Choose your closing date
Sellers are under NO OBLIGATION to accept the offers and there is NO COST to you for this service, UNLESS you choose to accept an EXPRESS OFFER.
I have been trained in this platform and we had a lot of success helping homeowners get their homes sold conveniently and without the hassle of showings, staging and repairs….
- What are some strategies a home seller can use to get the best profit on the sale of their home in this current market?
- What are some strategies you recommend to the buyer’s you represent to help them come out ahead in this competitive market?
- What sets you apart as a realtor in the way you serve your clients?
- Can you share a short client story that illustrates some of your points?
TOPICS COVERED BY JO GARNER, MORTGAGE LOAN OFFICER
- What are 4 of the most common goals home buyers and those refinancing their mortgage say they want to accomplish ?
- Here are four common goals I hear from my clients want to achieve:
- Refinancing a mortgage you already have to get a lower rate and a lower mortgage payment
- Refinancing to lower the rate and shorten the term on your mortgage (getting rid of your mortgage sooner)
- Refinancing to roll in other higher interest rate debt into one low, fixed rate mortgage. (Then let’s put together a simple method for you to make strategic prepayments to get rid of the mortgage sooner with the least money out of your pocket.)
- While you are sticking close to home for the next couple of weeks, it is the perfect opportunity to get a FREE mortgage check-up and have a licensed mortgage loan officer analyze your current mortgage position, available equity, and high interest debt to determine if refinancing would create a financial gain for you and your family. What do YOU want to accomplish with YOUR mortgage. Make your plan. Let’s work your plan. If the deal works for you today, let’s do it today. Call me at (901) 482-0354 or email me a Jo@JoGarner.com If the deal does NOT work for you today, let’s determine the terms that would work and I can register you on my Rate Watch program. Then I can call YOU when the rate and terms work for YOU.
- What are some smart financing strategies
- Explore ahead of time what your financial comfort zones are. Calculate what is the maximum house payment that is personally comfortable for you? What is the maximum move-in costs that you can comfortably pay on your home purchase? Lets explore some mortgage programs that would work for you.
- Here’s some smart strategies from other mortgage clients:
- (1) . Preparing to Win the Bidding War- Ed and Ellie Ethan’s Story—Ed and Ellie Ethan were newly married and expecting their first child. They really needed a bigger home in a safe neighborhood. The bigger better houses cost more and too many other people could offer more than the Ethan’s could pay for the house.
One day the Ethan’s stepped through the front door of a house and they instantly knew it was everything they wanted. It seemed like no other house would satisfy them. that could not afford to pay the full price for the home they desperately wanted.
The smart strategy we used for the Ethan’s was to make their prequalification letter so strong that the seller would see their home purchase offer as the surest even if they could be the highest offer. The Ethans volunteered to bring in early all of their income documents and bank statements. I emailed to them their preapproval letter but also a letter from me stating that I had reviewed their credit AND income AND asset documents and that they appeared to be VERY STRONG borrowers.
The Ethan’s realtor included my letter and the prequalification letter with their offer to buy the home. The Ethans also attached a picture of themselves holding a blue baby onsie between them (since their baby would be born later.) They included a letter below their picture letting the sellers know how much they loved the house that they could see their child one day playing in the back yard where the sellers children had played many years before….
The happy ending for the Ethan’s was that, even though their offer to purchase the home was not he highest offer, it was the surest offer.
When mortgage rates recently started a rapid climb upward, some of my clients were still out house shopping and could not lock their rate on a standard program. When the seller finally accepted their home purchase offer, rates had moved away from where they had been originally.
Benton and Baily were disappointed that their payment would be a little bit higher since the mortgage rates had jumped higher. Benton and Bailey had a longer time than usual until they were contracted to buy the house.
The answer for them was to somehow improve their credit score. By paying down their credit cards to show they were using less than 30% of their revolving credit limits, their score would like increase 15 to 20 points, just enough to put them in a much better price level for their mortgage. The higher their credit score, the lower their mortgage rate. The lower their mortgage rate, the lower the payment. Life would be much happier enjoying that lower rate.
Here’s strategies some of my other clients have used to push their credit scores higher:
I am not a licensed credit repair person and I direct my clients to the credit bureaus for any final corrections or fixes. There are no guarantees that you will get the exact results you want 100% of the time. What I am sharing with you is based on close observation and study of the cause and effect on numerous mortgage client credit reports).
- Make your payments on time and do not let them get over 30 days late.
- If a creditor is contacting you about a collection account, pay it as soon as possible or set up a payment plan with the lowest possible payment per month with an agreement with the collection company not to report negative information about you to the bureaus.
- Never use more than 30% of your credit card limits. For example, if your credit limit is $10,000, you would never want your balance to go over $3,000. Your utilization habits on revolving account activity makes up over 30% of your credit score.
- Stay away from 12-months-same-as-cash accounts. Most of the time these type accounts are scored as maxed out revolving accounts. I have seen these accounts drop someone’s score more than 100 points.
- Think outside the box. Call me and we can explore your possibilities to help you achieve what you want to accomplish over a shorter time period with the least amount of investment.
- Just because the home you would love to buy needs a lot of tender love and care and lots of repair, doesn’t mean you can’t finance it. Yes, you can with a renovation and repair mortgage.
- Just because you don’t have the funds for a down payment doesn’t mean there is not money out there for you to use for you down payment. Let’s sink our shovel into some gold you didn’t know you had.
- Just because someone said you don’t show enough income on your tax returns from your self-employment does NOT mean the income is not there. If you have good credit and money to close on your home, I am happy to review your tax returns and add back every allowable expense I can add back to help you qualify for the mortgage you want.
REAL ESTATE TIP OF THE WEEK (Michael Brooks, national renovation and repair lending manager for Sierra Pacific Mortgage )
Talk Shoppe offers free networking & education to anyone interested in real estate or in business. Talk Shoppe meets every Wednesday 9A-10A CT at Concorde Career College 5100 Poplar Ave 1st floor Memphis, TN. Go to www.TalkShoppe.com and click Upcoming Events tab for the temporary virtual meeting web location. This Wednesday March 25th, 2020 Talk Shoppe presents: “The Mastermind Principle based on the book Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill.
Talk Shoppe events are free thanks to supporters like Don Lawler of Storytellers Memphis, a videography company specializing in telling your business brand story. Contact Don Lawler at www.StoryTellersMemphis.com
Thank you to Leah Anne Morse of All Things New, helping families down size and make changes in life successfully and positively with organizing and with estate sales. Contact Leah Ann Morse at www.AllThingsNewWTN.com
2. Shelter at home. Stay safe. We will all get win this war together against the Coranavirus attack. Victory will be ours!
4. Subscribe at www.JoGarner.com and you can get our weekly blog posts with podcasts conveniently in your inbox.
5. Real Estate Mortgage Shoppe reminds you to MAKE YOUR PLAN. LET’S WORK YOUR PLAN. IF THE DEAL WORKS FOR YOU TODAY, DO IT TODAY.
SPECIAL NOTE: REAL ESTATE MORTGAGE SHOPPE RECOMMENDS THAT YOU CONSULT WITH A FINANCIAL, LEGAL OR OTHER CERTIFIED, LICENSED PROFESSIONAL BEFORE ACTING OR INVESTING ON ANYTHING YOU HEAR OR SEE FROM THE CONTENT ON THIS SHOW OR BLOG POSTS. THE INFORMATION WE SHARE ON REAL ESTATE MORTGAGE SHOPPE IS GENERAL IN NATURE MEANT FOR GENERAL EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. ALL EXAMPLES GIVEN FOR ILLUSTRATION PURPOSES ON REAL ESTATE MORTGAGE SHOPPE AND ARE BASED ON TRUE STORIES BUT WE USE FICTIONAL CHARACTERS AND DO NOT DIRECTLY REFLECT REAL PEOPLE OR EXACT DETAILS IN ANY OF THE SITUATIONS.
Former Memphis Tigers Coach Mike Norvell ““Evaluation is the key to success in football. Evaluate your players, coaches and current team. Focus on your strengths. Assess what your needs are. What fits in your system like speed, versatility.” “Prepare and put yourself in the best position. Control what you can control.”
- Troy and Lynn McDonald, Erin McDonald Insurance Agency Bartlett, TN (901) 849-7101
- Leah Anne Morse-Cartridge World Collierville, TN (recycled print cartridges) (901) 853-3230
- Brandon Thompson, HomeTeam Inspection Service Memphis, TN (901) 848-2388
Transitional Music: “Moving Out” by Billy Joel; “Money Song” by Dean Martin; “Home” Phillips Phillips; “Memphis” by Johnny Rivers for the Look Back Memphis Trivia Contest
ABOUT SILVANA PIADADE
I moved from Houston Texas in 1997, I am married, a mother of a 17-year old Junior attending CBHS high school. I am originally from Latin America (Bilingual) fluent in Spanish. I have 13 years of experience in residential real estate and hold several accreditations but for the purpose of this conversation: CDPE (Certified Distressed Property Expert, my forte in Short Sales. I have also earned every year performance awards from Collins-Maury. In July 2017, I earned my Broker’s license. My previous training in customer satisfaction comes from a background in the hospitality industry and most of my clients are direct referrals. I love music and good food. Why me? Because I listen, I care and I deliver.
Silvana Piadade, CRS, ABR, CDPE, MRP, CPRES
TN Company Lic# 257511
TN Agent Lic# 289316
Coldwell Banker Collins-Maury Realtors
CB International President’s Elite Award 2015-2014
2016 Real Trends – Best Real Estate Agents in America
Client Reviews: https://www.zillow.com/profile/user8150076/#reviews
Facebook: www.facebook.com/silvanainmemphis/ Twitter: twitter.com/spiadade
ABOUT JO GARNER-MORTGAGE LOAN OFFICER:
WHAT DO YOU WANT TO ACCOMPLISH WITH YOUR MORTGAGE?
“Whatever YOUR personal priorities are, my job is to help you get the mortgage terms that will give you bragging rights when you talk about it and help you score on hitting your goals .”
As a mortgage loan officer, my job is to help you get to the benefits you want from your financing terms. What is most important to you? I can help you find the financing terms that will help you get to what you want. What is your comfort level on a house payment? How much are you comfortable paying down,? What type of financing do you need to get the house you want to buy or refinance?
Different clients have different priorities in life—some are buying their first home with very little down payment funds. Some are recovering from medical challenges, divorces or preparing to send children to college and some are embarking on a long term goal of buying properties to build rental income.”
Jo Garner is a mortgage officer with extensive knowledge in tailoring mortgages to her customers who are refinancing or purchasing homes all over the country. She offers conventional, FHA, VA or other loan programs for refinancing and purchases.
Jo can help you look at rent vs buy, when it makes sense to refinance, how to get the best deal on your home purchase financing.
Jo Garner has been in the real estate/financing business for over 25 years. She got her start in Portland, Maine where she first began her real estate career. She received her real estate education from the University of Southern Maine and was personally mentored in San Diego, California by Robert G. Allen, author of Nothing Down, Creating Wealth and The Challenge.
On moving back to West Tennessee in 1987, she went into business buying and selling discounted owner-financed notes secured on real estate. In 1990 Jo went to work for a residential mortgage company and has been a mortgage loan officer for over 25 years. Her goal is to offer excellent, affordable service to her customers, tailoring the loan programs to the specific needs of her clients.
In addition to her work in the mortgage field, Jo Garner is the primary sponsor and founder of Talk Shoppe in Memphis. www.TalkShoppe.com Jo Garner also host the radio show Real Estate Mortgage Shoppe airing on News Radio AM 600 WREC and iHeart Radio with podcasts and show notes published on www.JoGarner.com