Today we are going to look at some ways realtors make their commissions a good investment return to the clients they serve who want to buy or sell a home. We will be covering how to choose the best realtor and a good financing expert.
Welcome to Real Estate Mortgage Shoppe! We offer you solutions for your real estate and financing scenarios. Subscribe by emailing me at email@example.com so we can stay connected.
You will get weekly updates and links to the newest podcasts, blog posts and show notes and more. Real Estate Mortgage Shoppe does not sell your email addresses. So let’s stay in touch!
To Your Success,
Jo Garner, Mortgage Loan Officer and Host of Real Estate Mortgage Shoppe
Good morning, Memphis! Welcome to our internet listeners and podcast listeners across the 50 states! You’re on Real Estate Mortgage Shoppe. I’m your host, Jo Garner, Mortgage Loan Officer. You can connect with me at www.JoGarner.com. Thank you to Chad Irwin, Evolve Bank Mortgage Loan Department Manager for the Memphis, TN office. Who do you know in Memphis or any other state that wants to ratchet up their mortgage career and have fun doing it? Call Chad at (901) 260-1480. For Our general topic today, June 17th, 2017, is “SHOULD I USE A REALTOR? 6 REASONS TO GET THE PROS ON YOUR TEAM.”
If you have a question or comment text me now at (901) 482-0354 or call me directly off the show at the same number (901) 482-0354. You can call us while we are live at (901) 535-9732
HERE’S WHAT WE’RE TALKING ABOUT—REALTORS AND OTHER REAL ESTATE PROS
Today we are going to look at some ways realtors make their commissions a good investment return to the clients they serve who want to buy or sell a home. We will be covering how to choose the best realtor and a good financing expert. Who do you know who has been talking about buying a house? Who can you think of right now that has a growing family where the children are all bunking in one bedroom and they need a bigger home? Do you know someone who lives in a house that is just too big for them? Perhaps they need to down size. Who is it that you know who would like to buy houses to build up a better income? We are going to cover 6 reasons to but a professional to work for you.
INTRODUCING SHERRY SCOTT-CHAMBERS
Seated around the coffee table with us this morning is Dr. Sherry Scott-Chambers, a realtor since 1999 and recipient of many educational designations and awards such as Crye-Leike’s coveted Circle of Excellence Award, Lifetime Multi-Million Dollar Sales Club, Women’s Council of Realtors 2014-2016 Excellence In Service Award recipient among other offices, and class of 2017 for “Leadership MAAR.” Besides her service as a realtor, she is an ordained minister and, most importantly, she has been married 23 years, and is a mother 3 and a grandmother of 9! Welcome to Real Estate Mortgage Shoppe, Sherry!
(Sherry shares about Women’s Council of Realtors)
REAL ESTATE AND MORTGAGE MARKET REPORT
(Jo) Realtors and lenders are staying busy these days in one of the most competitive markets we have seen in over a decade. Demand for housing is roaring very much like when we were at the height home sales around 2006 but we have about 25% of the inventory available that we did back then. This really requires some real estate and lending professionals that can present their clients in the best light to give them the edge over competing bidders for the same property.
The Federal Reserve raised their Fed rate this week by a quarter point. Due to other economic indicators, the price on mortgage rates stayed steady at about an 8-month low. Conventional 30 year fixed rates have been hovering around the 3.875% to 4% range with the 15 year fixed rates coming in around the low 3’s. MAKE YOUR PLAN. LET’S WORK YOUR PLAN. IF THE DEAL WORKS FOR YOU TODAY, LET’S DO IT TODAY. But you have to talk with me personally to work with me personally. Call me directly at (901) 482-0354 after this show or email me at Jo@JoGarner.com
(Sherry makes comments about how the market is affecting her business and the actions needed to help buyers and sellers win)
(Jo) Sherry, let’s say I have a prequalified mortgage customer and they come to you as their realtor with a dilemma. They are a growing family and now another child is on the way. The house they are renting is already too small and with the new baby coming they want to buy a home within their budget while rates are low. Here’s another dilemma- their lease is coming due to renew for another year. They need to buy a home within the next month and a half. Due to a hectic work schedule and caring for the children, this family has very little time to search for homes.
The clock is ticking. They need to make the right offer that will beat any other offers for the same house. How do they find this house and what do they need to do to get the seller to accept their offer?
(Sherry talks about ways a realtor can really come to the rescue for this family)
- (Jo asked Sherry, “In your experience as a realtor, Sherry, what are some top ways realtors really are an asset to home buyers?)
Sherry launches into the topic of how realtors can use their experience and connections to be the hero for their homebuying clients)
- Jo asked Sherry, “Can you share a true story that illustrates why buyers can come out in the winner’s circle by having the help of an experienced realtor?”
(Sherry shares a true story not using real names or addresses)
LET’S TALK SHOP—TALK SHOPPE’S BUSINESS TIP FOR REAL ESTATE PROS:
It’s time to talk shop with Talk Shoppe’s Business Tip For Real Estate Professionals. Talk Shoppe is a marketing company offering free education and networking to anyone interested in real estate or in business. Talk Shoppe is made possible by the financial support of its sponsors and advertisers. For more about Talk Shoppe, go to www.TalkShoppe.com (shoppe) For our Talk Shoppe Business Tip today we have Talk Shoppe advertiser Diane Neal of US Health Advisors. Diane has been offering some great health benefit plans for individuals, self employed people and for realtors too. Diane, what is our Talk Shoppe Business Tip for Real Estate Professionals today?
QUESTIONS ANSWERED BY SHERRY SCOTT-CHAMBERS
- In your experience as a realtor, Sherry, what are some top ways realtors really are an asset to home buyers?
- Realtors have the knowledge and resources through the listing agency, pooled knowledge among other realtors about what is available, even behind the scenes.
- Realtors have been trained on negotiating skills to help put win-win deals together that might not have otherwise worked out.
- Realtors know some basics on how to stage the home, even some staging actions that can be taken that do not cost money.
- Realtors can connect buyers and sellers with other reputable, dependable, fairly priced professionals like home inspectors, title companies and others.
- Realtors know from day-to-day the selling prices of homes in your area. They can help sellers list for the right price and they can help buyers not over pay for a home.
- Realtors can help buyers stay on the timeline dictated by the Dodd-Frank Act and realtors stay in touch with mortgage companies to help buyers get the right documents in place to make sure their loan closes on time.
- Based on your experience, what are the top reasons realtors more than earn their commissions serving home sellers?
Greg Renfrow a realtor with Berkshire Hathaway Home Services Taliesyn Realty and a member of Women’s Council of Realtors has a great illustration of why it is important to have your house looking its best before listing it for sale. He said getting your home ready to put on the market and sell is like getting ready to go out on a first date with someone. You want to look your best if you want to get asked out for a second date. That is a great analogy.
Sherry goes into detail about how realtors add value and save buyers and sellers money on real estate transactions.
- Talk a little bit about Women’s Council of Realtors?
- Your leadership roles at Women’s Council of Realtors
- Women’s Council of Realtors mission statement and service to the community and other real estate professionals
- What makes WCR members a cut above the average crowd of real estate professionals?
(Realtors with WCR are givers and give back to the community. Givers tend to give more than they take.
WCR offers extra educational classes and hold members to a very high ethical standard. Being a WCR member adds an extra layer of credibility in the marketplace)
- Can you share a true story about how a home seller really got a great return on their investment in hiring a realtor to help them sell their home?
- Can you share a story that illustrates why buyers can come out in the winner’s circle by having the help of an experienced realtor?
Caller: Lynn McDonald, Insurance Agent with Erin McDonald Insurance Agency (901) 849-7101 Lynn shared a story of why she used a realtor for a recent transaction. Lynn also reminded homebuyers that when you are shopping for homeowners insurance, you can shop with as many insurance companies as you wish. When a homeowners insurance company checks credit, it is considered a “soft pull” and does not negatively affect your credit score.
QUESTIONS ANSWERED BY JO GARNER:
- How do I know who to use for my mortgage financing?
- Check with two or three lenders when you are shopping for the financing you need. Based on the credit rules from the late 90’s, you should be able to shop 2 or 3 mortgage companies with a 14 day period without negatively affecting your score if the 2 or 3 inquiries are all coming from mortgage companies and not finance companies or other type financing.
- Check the online reviews of the lender or loan officer that you are considering. The top rating agencies are Google My Business, Yelp and Angies list and the Better Business Bureau. Also you can check the loan officer or broker’s Linkedin professional profile page and look for recommendations and testimonies. Word of mouth from someone who has used the lender is helpful too.
- What is your first impression of the lender? Did the loan officer ask you questions specifically about YOU would like to accomplish from the transaction? Did he or she asked you what YOUR comfort level is for a mortgage payment? What is YOUR comfort level on a down payment? How long do you plan to keep the house you are purchasing or refinancing? These are important questions that can determine which loan product would work best for you.
- Interview the loan officer or broker to see if they are knowledgeable about the type of financing YOU need specifically. For instance, if you are a military veteran and plan to use VA financing, how knowledgeable is the loan officer about VA financing? I personally am doing quite a bit more financing for veterans since Evolve Bank’s mortgage department is paying for the veteran’s VA closing cost. That means the veteran doesn’t have to pay those VA closing cost and neither does the seller, making that borrower’s offer to buy a house much more attractive than another person’s competing offer.
Here’s an example: One of my clients is a veteran who had made an offer on a house he really wanted to buy. But, even though his offer was good, the seller took a different offer from someone else. My client, was a quick learner. Not to be outdone, he decided to take me, his lender, up on my offer to use the bank’s special offer to pay the veteran’s VA closing costs on his VA loan. He would not be paying those VA closing costs giving him over $1,300 of closing costs he would NOT have to ask the seller to pay. He only asked the seller to pay a fraction of what it would have normally cost for closing costs and, since this made the net profit to the seller higher, the seller accepted my veteran client’s offer. He is getting to buy a house he really likes with some amenities the first house didn’t have.
- Compare loan terms and see which one you prefer. Here’s a hint: The lowest rate is rarely ever the best overall deal.
Call me directly at (901) 482-0354 or email me at Jo@JoGarner.com. I would like very much to talk with you about YOUR financing plans. But you have to talk with me personally to work with me. I want to personally Susan Belew and I will stay with you throughout the mortgage process from beginning to the closing. We will even check on you after the closing.
- What is the difference between a mortgage banker and a mortgage broker?
- A mortgage banker works directly with mortgage funding providers like Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and many other mortgage programs to get you the right mortgage product and get your loan processed and closed. You are cutting out the middle man when you use a mortgage banker. I am a mortgage banker.
- The mortgage broker is a middle man that gets a fee for setting you up with a mortgage product and getting it closed, but usually a different lending institution funds the mortgage.
REAL ESTATE TIP OF THE WEEK
Diane Neal of US Health Advisors shares more information on the individual health packages she offers to self-employed people and individuals and families. No deductible health plans at 30% to 40% below the costs of retail insurance benefit plans (901) 606-9091
- Talk Shoppe offers free networking & education to anyone interested in real estate or in business. Talk Shoppe meets every Wednesday 9A-10A CT at Nova Copy Conference Center 7251 Appling Farms Parkway Memphis. This Wednesday June 21st, 2017 Talk Shoppe presents: “Helping Small Business Owners, Self-Employed, and Families Get Affordable Health Coverage.” By Diane Neal of US Health Advisors. Diane is sitting right here in the studio today. Diane, tell our listeners a little bit about what you will be sharing Wednesday at Talk Shoppe
- Talk Shoppe events are free thanks to advertisers like Mary Lou Nowak, CERTIFIED AGING IN PLACE SPECIALIST by the National Home Builders Association. Mary Lou Nowak offers top notch non-medical assistance to aging or handicapped loved ones. Contact Mary Lou at (901) 414-9696 extension 144 or at www.homehelpershomecare.com
- Happy Father’s Day to the special dad’s out there!
- FOR THIS PODCAST OF REAL ESTATE MORTGAGE SHOPPE AND MORE, GO TO JOGARNER.COM
- Real Estate Mortgage Shoppe reminds you that MAKE YOUR PLAN. WORK YOUR PLAN. IF THE DEAL WORKS FOR YOU TODAY, DO IT TODAY.
SPECIAL NOTE: REAL ESTATE MORTGAGE SHOPPE RECOMMENDS THAT YOU CONSULT WITH A FINANCIAL, LEGAL OR OTHER CERTIFIED, LICENSED PROFESSIONAL BEFORE ACTING OR INVESTING ON ANYTHING YOU HEAR OR SEE FROM THE CONTENT ON THIS SHOW OR BLOG POSTS. THE INFORMATION WE SHARE ON REAL ESTATE MORTGAGE SHOPPE IS GENERAL IN NATURE MEANT FOR GENERAL EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY.
- Billy Nickol, Geiger Company. Provides every kind of product you can use to brand yourself and your business. If Billy doesn’t have it, you don’t need it. Talk with Billy about some products that will make YOU stand front and center with our target market firstname.lastname@example.org
- Katie Gilliland, Thank you to Tim Gilliland and Katie Gilliland of www.backuprx.com for providing data backup services to Talk Shoppe. Talk with them about helping you protect your business continuity too.
- Chad Irwin, Mortgage Loan Production Office Manager Memphis, TN Chad can help you or someone you know in the Memphis area or anywhere in the country if they want to ratchet up their mortgage career and have fun doing it. (901) 260-1480
ABOUT DIANE NEAL, US HEALTH ADVISORS
Affordable Health Insurance for:
Small Business Owners
Families & Individuals
About Sherry Scott-Chambers
I’ve been a Realtor since 1999. I am a graduate of the Professional School of Real Estate, Crye-Leike College, and a recipient of numerous Real Estate awards and recognitions including Crye-Leike’s coveted Circle of Excellence Award, Lifetime Multi-Million Dollar Sales Club, Memphis Area Association of Realtors Multi- Million Dollars Sales Club recipient for 5 years, Past Benevolent Fund Board Trustee, Women’s Council of Realtors 2014-2016 Excellence In Service Award recipient, Women’s Council of Realtors’ Recording Secretary for 2014 and 2015, Pledge and Inspiration Chair for 2016, and 2017 VP of Member. I am a proud graduate of the class of 2017 for “Leadership MAAR” I’ve currently achieved the ABR, GRI, CRS, CDPE, LRS, PMN, and SFR designations.
In 2007, I partnered with United Way as our Crye-Leike office team leader. In 2012, I was the Chairperson for Crye-Leike Realtors, Inc. That year we achieved the highest contributions ever under my leadership.
Outside of the real estate world, I am a wife of 23 years, a mother of 3, and a grandmother 9! I’m an ordained minister with a doctorate degree in Theology.
My involvement with WCR and MAAR has truly been a benefit to me in various ways. Not only has it given me the opportunity to get to know so many more of my colleagues, but it has afforded me the opportunity to get to know the heart of OUR WCR chapter. It has sparked my love for our organization, the networking of the business and by the community involvement that this organization presents. With the industry continuously changing, I find that education, participation, and commitment are key areas of the industry that this organization offers to the success of each professional involved. The office, VP of Membership with our Memphis Network of Women’s Council of Realtors, has given me the opportunity to present this organization to many others.
Dr. Sherry Scott-Chambers
ABR, CRS, CDPE, GRI, LRS, PMN, SFR
About Jo Garner
cell: (901) 482 0354
Jo describes her job description: “As a mortgage loan officer, my job is to give my client the benefits they want from their financing terms– listening to my client and determine what’s of the most value to THEM– What is their comfort level on a house payment, how much are they comfortable paying down, what type of financing do they need to get the house they want to buy or refinance. Different clients have different priorities in life—some are buying their first home with very little down payment funds. Some are recovering from medical challenges, divorces or preparing to send children to college and some are embarking on a long term goal of buying properties to build rental income. Whatever their personal priorities are, my job is to put together a mortgage with comfortable terms that will help them achieve their goals.”
Jo Garner is a mortgage officer with extensive knowledge in tailoring mortgages to her customers who are refinancing or purchasing homes all over the country. She offers conventional, FHA, VA or other loan programs for refinancing and purchases.
Jo can help you look at rent vs buy, when it makes sense to refinance, how to get the best deal on your home purchase financing.
Jo Garner has been in the real estate/financing business for over 20 years. She got her start in Portland, Maine where she first began her real estate career. She received her real estate education from the University of Southern Maine and was personally mentored in San Diego, California by Robert G. Allen, author of Nothing Down, Creating Wealth and The Challenge.
On moving back to West Tennessee in 1987, she went into business buying and selling discounted owner-financed notes secured on real estate. In 1990 Jo went to work for a residential mortgage company and has been a mortgage loan officer for over 20 years. Her goal is to offer excellent, affordable service to her customers, tailoring the loan programs to the specific needs of her clients.
In addition to her work in the mortgage field, Jo Garner is the primary sponsor and founder of Talk Shoppe in Memphis. www.TalkShoppe.com Jo is host of Real Estate Mortgage Shoppe and currently publishes on her blog www.JoGarner.com